Working for NetThings
NetThings is a high-growth tech start-up that has developed an “internet of things” platform targeted at energy management solutions. It is already one of the leading suppliers of residential energy monitoring solutions, and now aims to bring the benefits of its low-cost energy-saving solution to small commercial premises and SME’s. Small and medium sized companies in the UK use 46% of their energy outside of normal business hours and much of this is simply wasteful usage. More than half of these companies have no energy saving measures in place at all, and few economically viable solutions available. NetThings is ideally placed to address this large market gap and plans to achieve rapid growth by deploying its existing technology in this area.
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland (see below)
- Team size: c. 25 employees
- Technical team size: c. 12 expected to grow to c. 20 by year end 2017
- Custom hardware platform based on Freescale CPU
- Embedded Linux & C
- JS and HTML5 front-end o Android-based displays
- MongoDB and java cloud infrastructure
- Ongoing trials with several household-name chains (in hospitality and leisure)
- Further development of existing product to match needs of commercial premises, providing technical challenges at all levels of the stack
- InnovateUK project to investigate energy saving in a range of small commercial premises
- Marketing agreements under discussion with major energy industry players o Strong sales of residential energy-monitor expected to continue for several years
- NetThings is backed by Archangels one of the UK’s leading angel investment syndicates with over 20 years backing and supporting technology businesses, and a current portfolio of more than 20 technology start-ups.
- Edinburgh is a great place to re-locate for the technology professional:
- It is the leading tech centre in Scotland with the highest concentration of technology businesses, and is now a key centre in the UK scene:
- Edinburgh is also renowned as a great place to live and work, regularly featuring amongst the top places in the UK in quality-of-life surveys
- Netthings is located at the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh. This is an excellent location, with good parking, local amenities (including sports centre and swimming pool next door!), and easy access by car, bus and bike (right next to the Water of Leith walk and cycle path).