Work-books.uk is a dynamic Edinburgh based Fintech start-up, pre-money moving from POC to MVP and led by a team with experience of driving fast growth start-ups. Currently on the RBS Fintech Accelerator program, Work-Books is an AWS Ignite cohort and a Wildcard Finalist for Scottish Edge.
We offer a cloud-based holistic framework of tools to take a business concept from initial idea, through formation, into operation and support through rapid and continual growth. We are building the infrastructure to allow people to define their livelihoods in an uncertain world. Developing leading edge business tools with AI/ML and with global aspirations, this is an opportunity to join the founding team and define the culture, direction and technologies of a fast growth Fintech.
Work-Books has a defined social and moral code because we really do care about the impact of what we do. We're a committed disability ready employer and are working towards B Corp Certification. We want to be recognised as a force for good, putting morality and purpose above self-interest and building a better business landscape that addresses fundamental injustices and inequalities in our world.
We are looking for an experienced developer to take the lead, define our codebase and architecture, help shape the team ethos and implement company production procedures with a focus on clean, maintainable and scalable code.
Joining a team of dyed in the wool coders, the right candidate will have the chance to build and define their own team, procedures, and practices. You'll have a key role in forming our culture as well as delivering kickass software for the business community through the cloud.
We cherish hackers of all forms, whilst a strong social and moral agenda is valued in all applicants.
What you'll do
- Take ownership of the codebase
- Define production process and methodology
- Create a test-driven environment for relevant projects
- Refactor and support rapid development cycles
- Help build and select team
- Meet with board and stakeholders
- Mentoring junior developers
- Feedback and promote specific functionality and feature development
What you'll bring
Ideally, you'll bring a broad technical skillset across multiple languages and tech stacks with knowledge of what it takes to deliver code in a growing start-up. You'll be adept with API integrations (having worked on high transaction / high volume projects) and have aspirations to build and develop your own team, methodology and standards for production.
- Specific languages aren't a necessity; however we'd expect that you'll have a strong track record of delivering cutting edge solutions with the likes of Rails, Ruby, Python or equivalent and any of the modern databases (preferably PostgreSQL).
- You may already be an experienced technology leader or a Senior Software Engineer looking to take your knowledge of mentoring teams to the next level. Regardless, you'll have a real depth of technical understanding and will love cutting code!
- As a very technically capable hands-on leader, champion of best practice, TDD and clean code, you'll be quick to write tests, refactor code, hunt down memory issues and guide juniors.
- We're a positive team who love tech, love coding and are passionate about building cutting edge solutions that make a difference. The Senior Developer will have the opportunity to make a tangible impact on every part of the business and will help define our team, culture and solutions for the long term.
What we're offering
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer:
- The chance to have a major impact on a growing and exciting FinTech start-up
- An exciting equity package - we work for ourselves to better ourselves
- Flexible working hours to suit you - we trust each other to find a working pattern that suits the team and our production pipeline
- Opportunities to work remotely - we're pretty flexible, however may need you to come see us to say hello on occasion
- Full support for any side projects or self-development - we want to foster an ethos of self-development and support proactive learners to invest in their future
- Statutory holiday allowance
Sounds great! So…what's next?
Work-Books are partnering with TalentSpark, the start-up recruitment specialists. Please apply now or get in touch with Pete Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org / 07795553835) or Niall Bree (email@example.com / 07876233246) for an informal chat.