Vehicle Technician / Mechanic
The candidate is to be based in the capital (Stanley) of the Falkland Islands on an initial two-year fixed term contract basis. Relocation assistance is provided.
A fully trained or time-served vehicle mechanic is required to join a successful team of workshop technicians within the 4x4 repairs and maintenance division of a company based in the Falkland Islands.
The organisation was granted its Royal Charter in 1852 and since then has been supplying the Falkland Islands with a wide range of essential services. The company's main areas of activity embrace retail (including food, clothing, electrical goods, home furnishings, gifts and DIY), residential and commercial property, the sale and hire of 4x4 vehicles, travel services including flight bookings, airport transfers and luxury coach and walking tours for tourists, insurance, agency services for cruise ships and fishing vessels and the provision of freight and shipping services to and from the islands.
- Adhere in compliance with company health and safety procedures, safe working practices
- Inspect and assess mechanical and electrical faults
- Test drive vehicles
- Suggest and recommend required repairs to the manager
- Carry out service, maintenance and repairs
- Record jobs and inspection documents on a daily basis
- Supervise junior technicians and give guidance and instructions
- Instruct and assist with cleaning of equipment, tools and the general workplace
Skill level includes
- Manual and Automatic transmissions
- Diesel and Petrol engines
- Brakes, lubricants & fluids
- Suspension & Steering
- Tyres & Wheel Alignment
- Cooling and Heating
- Clutch and drive line
- General body and Exhaust
- Electrical components
- Computer diagnostics and analysis
- Proper use of specialised tools and equipment
Qualification & Skills
- Valid driver's licence, Cat B or above
- Vehicle mechanic qualification
- Good communication skills
- Basic computing skills
- Desirable is Land Rover Licensed Automotive Service Technician
- Presentable and reliable, teamwork experience and ability to work under pressure
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate on experience and qualifications. Overtime applicable and is paid at a rate of time and a half. Relocation costs to and from Falkland Islands upon completion of the contract. Upon arrival and submission of original receipts, reimbursement of immigration related expenses (i.e.: background check certificate costs, medical certificate costs etc). Accommodation contract without security deposit, rent deductible monthly from your salary in arrears. Annual bonus based on performance.