HSE Manager (c.12 months maternity cover)
My client is a modern and progressive Chemical Manufacturing business, with manufacturing sites in USA, Europe and Asia. The West Lothian site is relatively small in terms of personnel but is one of their flagship sites and consistently delivers a substantial profit. The business has a fantastic cultural geared around trust and mutual respect. The HSE Manager role will report into a supportive and enthusiastic Plant Manager and will involve a thorough handover with the current incumbent.
This role is responsible for promoting a positive health and safety culture within a high-risk manufacturing facility. You will ensure that employers and workers comply with safety legislation and that safety policies and practices are adopted and adhered to. This role will work closely with multiple individuals and teams to plan, implement, monitor and review protective and preventative safety measures. There will also be involvement in a couple of existing projects that are being carried out on site.
The position will entail:
- Health, Safety and Environmental Management for the site
- Ensure compliance with ISO 14001 and 45001
- Prepare, develop and implement health, safety and environmental strategies and policies
- Develop and execute a robust EHS strategy for the site
- Work proactively with key members of staff to establish and maintain a programme of continuous improvement
- Lead all accident and incident investigations and implement corrective and preventative actions
- Observe, evaluate and review existing, new and upcoming health, safety and environment legislation
- Ensure that appropriate records are maintained in compliance with legal requirements such as COSHH
- Design and deliver training sessions on key areas of activity in relation to HSE
- Encourage all managers and supervisors to create a safety-first environment
- Carry out risk assessments and work proactively to see how risks can be reduced
- Outline safe operational procedures which identify and take account of all relevant hazards
- Conduct review and maintenance of Key Performance Indicators (KPI) trends to ensure optimum safety performance
- Lead site HSE meetings and ensure employees participate in local safety meetings
- Evaluate and implement best solutions, including commissioning, training and updating OSPs.
- Manage all environmental operating permit
- Provide environmental compliance reporting to SEPA
- Compile and report e-metrics to corporate
- Ensure compliance with relevant waste management and packaging regulation
- Provide management with guidance on changes the relevant HSE regulations
The succcessful candidate will be/have:
- A Degree in Environmental Health, Safety Engineering or Occupational Health with at least 3-5 years related work experience in environmental health and safety
- Experience with ISO 14001 and 45001
- Process Safety Management experience (PHA's, MOC, etc.)
- Experience in ATEX/DSEAR Compliance
- NEBOSH Diploma
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills required.
- Root Cause Analysis experience
- Capacity to work with limited supervision and support, in a rapidly changing and fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a collaborative manner with other departments, teams and stakeholders.
The role will ideally commence in August and will be a fixed term contract until Summer 2022. The company do have the ability to start someone sooner, if the candidate's availability allows. There is a competitive remuneration package on offer and the chance to work with a positive, supportive team.