Senior Laser Engineer
Senior Laser Engineer
A tremendous opportunity has arisen to join a unique, Central Belt-based materials technology business currently engaged in developing new products for a range of industry sectors. The business is high-growth and is going from strength to strength, whilst retaining it's innovative, positve culture. They've recently been extremely successful in their latest funding round and have ambitious plans moving into 2021 and beyond. The working culture is dynamic, fun and intellectually stimulating, with an emphasis on continually improving exisiting products whilst developing new high performing and high quality products. They now have a team of c.30 based on site; with a fantastic team of engineers and scientists.
The company is looking for a full-time experienced Senior Laser Engineer to join their innovative team. You will be the 'go-to' person for all technical challenges involving Laser technology. You will be responsible for supporting both the R&D and Production teams in the development and testing of new laser solutions and the resulting materials processing.
- Taking ownership of developing existing laser equipment to meet, and improve, existing production requirements
- Specifying, procuring and developing a new laser system to further develop material processing production methods
- Resolving novel technical challenges and providing design improvements
- Designing, setting up and running experiments, feasibility studies and testing of prototypes
- Documenting set-up, maintenance and quality control procedures in the form of work instructions and training of production personnel
- Ensuring that the output from laser treatment results in a well-controlled, validated and qualified process
- Use knowledge and experience to generate new cost effective and timely solutions to problems
- Collaboration with the development team and the generation of relevant reports aimed at improving product development and operational efficiency
- Support dissemination of knowledge internally in order that teams are informed of relevant progress on solutions and issues
- Ensure that all the safety regulations, practices, and procedures are followed, thereby taking care of the safety of the staff and the equipment
- Mentor and guide a small team (2) of Laser Engineers
- Perform other process and equipment tasks, as required
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, hands-on and have several years' experience in a Laser/Optical Engineering role, ideally in a materials processing environment. Due to the size and culture of the business, it's key to bring in someone who is collaborative, a good relationship-builder and a team player, as well as someone who is technically astute and competent in the following:
- Design of optical systems with CO2/IR/UV
- Experience of building/aligning such optical systems
- Zeemax experience
- Experience with CAD software
- Detail conscious and committed to achieving required accuracy
- Motivated and able to work well alone and within a group environment
- Good at problem solving and troubleshooting
- Engineers who have used lasers for materials processing (highly desirable)
- Relevant industrial experience within a high technology manufacturing environment
- Good programming skills - experience with G-code desirable
- Process engineering skills
- DoE and statistical analysis techniques
In return you'll receive a highly-competitive salary (DOE), package, career progression opportunities and a fantastic, supportive working culture.
Don't miss out and apply now for a discussion in confidence.