Senior Electrical Design Engineer - Electromagnetic
- £55000 - £65000 per annum
Our client a leading grid technology developer is seeking a Senior Electrical Enineer (Electromagnetics) to join their team on permanent basis in Edinburgh
Our client is building a new generation of smart transformers, instrumented to provide visibility for more efficient grid management, and intelligent to allow autonomous control. The smart transformers serve as a direct replacement for existing transformers, moreover it gives us the ability to precisely and dynamically control voltage at a high frequency to stabilise grid behaviour, generate changes in power consumption or place communications waveforms onto the power line.
Our client has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Electrical Design Engineer with experience in transformer design to join a multi-disciplinary team, who are dedicated to bringing new energy infrastructure products to the market and lead game-changing technology development. Upon demonstration of your experience, you will join at Senior level and will work within our transformer design workstream.
You will have opportunities in new product development from concept generation to detailed design and prototype build, you will also contribute on technical problem solving and continuous product improvement. Functions will be developed with some autonomy but guided by established policies and review of end results. The job also allows modification of procedures and practices covering work to ensure results meet standards of acceptability (quality, timeliness etc.).
- Develop reliable new concepts, including feasibility study and technical proposal with focuses on electromagnetic design.
- Use technical experience and analytical thinking to solve complex technical and electrical issues.
- Contribute to innovation and technical strategy to keep competitiveness and lead a technology development when required.
- Define, review and ensure compliance of products with internal and external technical standards.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with clients, vendors, suppliers, other professionals, and expanding networks.
- Maintaining and improving existing engineering processes.
- Utilizes in-depth knowledge of a technical discipline and analytical thinking and technical experience to execute policy/strategy.
- Liaising with clients and other engineers to ensure projects are completed to specifications
- Assisting with recruitment, training, and onboarding.
- Ensuring a safe and positive work environment.
- Be proactive and act as a resource for colleagues with less experience. You may lead small projects with low risks and resource requirements.
- Have a degree in Electrical Engineering. Master's degree or higher education is desirable.
- Chartered Engineering (CEng) status or working towards Chartership accreditation is desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Demonstrable experience on transformers design, their technical challenges, materials, manufacturing, monitoring conditions, testing and performance.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical abilities for engineering problems, from both technical and commercial viewpoints, to identify and deliver pragmatic solutions.
- Familiarity with a variety of industry standards, i.e. IEC, IEEE, ENA, NEMA.
- Member of an accredited professional body is desirable, i.e. IET, IEEE, CIGRE
- Knowledge of thermal modelling and fluid dynamics.
- Knowledge on distribution networks and the applicable regulations.
- Capable of collaborating effectively, understanding the value of "team" and having strong communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Practical experience with CAD software and simulation tools.
- Ability to travel when required.
You will work side by side with extremely knowledgeable Engineers on projects that have an impact on end-to-end solution for the ongoing energy transition and beyond.
We offer a competitive salary, pension scheme, bonus, private healthcare cover, health and wellbeing payment scheme and other flexible benefits. Working is by hybrid model which encompasses the ability to work remotely.
We value quality, diversity, and maintain a supportive work culture in which you're empowered to drive your own career and work towards your continuous professional development with our support.