FinTech presents a high growth market opportunity, with a very solid foundation in Edinburgh & Glasgow.
Now circa 100 Scottish-based businesses classified as fintechs – compared to just 33 this time last year. That is impressive growth by any standards.
The presence of fintech in Scotland has been established and has real substance. There is a real breadth to the agenda which has extended opportunities in Scotland.
Stephen Ingledew, chief executive of FinTech Scotland
Partnering as you grow
Eden Scott’s FinTech practice is set up predominantly to support those who have hit critical mass and are scaling up. We also have the ability to support early stage startups as they secure funding, and embark on building teams.
Our core offerings are:
- Critical hires at 1 or 2 levels below Board - specifically strong leadership skills, strategic thinking, combined with sound operational awareness and subject matter expertise.
- Urgent, non business-as-usual projects or gap-fills - interim or consulting solutions.
- We leverage our Talentspark platform to expand early stage startups’ footprint, and accelerate their growth via pooling talent & knowledge.
The major challenges currently being faced:
- Attracting and retaining top talent - We proactively expand our candidate network, building long-term relationships with rising stars and proven Execs across the UK and Europe.
- Driving diversity in the workplace - The fintech industry has a gender diversity problem, with women representing only 29% of staff in the sector. Some of the main challenges can be listed as the pay gap, absence of women on boards & leadership positions and the lack of flexible working options. We leverage relationships with women in tech & co-host events with female role models in the Tech & FinTech sectors
- Scalability & combating inertia / instilling continuous learning
- Gaining / maintaining competitive advantage (the corporates are catching up!)
- Balancing automation with customer centricity
- Staying lean & agile as you grow
- Operational leadership
- Customer / Sales
- Product management
- Front End Development